What is Advance Care Planning?
Advance Care Planning Canada’s National Framework defines advance care planning as “a process of reflection and communication in which a person with decision making capacity expresses his or her wishes regarding his or her future health and/or personal care in the event that he or she becomes incapable of consenting to or refusing treatment or other care.”
Who Develops an Advance Care Plan?
An advance care plan can be developed with an individual and/or guardians in conjunction with a physician. This plan outlines and defines the individual’s wishes regarding medical treatment and care as a result of occurrences, illnesses or serious health issues that causes the individual to become incapacitated. Wills, personal directives, power of attorney, and goals of care designation documents may be part of the advance care plan.
How Do We Help?
As part of our profile development and orientation process, we educate our staff on the critical elements in advance care plans of individuals that we serve. This will ensure that staff are not only aware of the wishes of the individual, but can support them in carrying out their wishes.
We are committed to:
- Providing individuals and their guardians with information on advance care planning at intake and on an ongoing basis
- Encouraging individuals and their families/guardians to actively participate in discussions on medical treatment and care for serious health issues
- Engaging in conversations on advance care planning as necessary to seek clarity around the individual’s wishes
- Ethical decision-making and respecting the dignity and value of individuals with disabilities
Please click on the links below for more information
- Conversations Matter – Planning for your future healthcare: https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Alberta/AlbertaDocuments/conversations-matter-guide-english.pdf
- Alberta Health Services – Advance Care Planning: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/info/page12585.aspx
- Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association: https://www.chpca.ca/
- Advance Care Planning Canada: http://www.advancecareplanning.ca/